Ms. Guzman: ELA 3G and ELD III
ELA 3G Course Description
The objective of this course is to help ensure that students are college and career ready in literacy. English 3D is a new English language development program designed to ensure proficiency in the language of school-the academic vocabulary, speaking, listening, and writing vital to success in school and life.
- English 3D will ensure all students are on a path toward college and career readiness by:
- Teaching high-leverage, portable academic language, including vocabulary, syntax, and grammar.
- Improving speaking and listening skills through daily opportunities for class discussions, peer collaboration, and formal speeches.
- Developing academic writing skills in summarizing, justification, argument, and research.
- Engaging students with authentic, increasingly complex informational texts that present real-world issues relevant to teens’ lives.
- Making regular connections between coursework and the demands of college and the workplace.
Students will read a variety of literary and informational text. In addition to the emphasis on close reading and academic writing, students will address skills within listening and speaking, language, and research. Grammar and vocabulary will be assigned throughout the year, along with larger projects.